Search | Memberlist | Register |  Profile | Login to check your private messages | Login 

Teenage Reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Teenage Reading Reply with quote

In answer to Kate's request for suggestions about what teenage boys might like to read, teenage boys are not in my experience interested in reading, but if any one has any ideas, I'd love to hear of them!

Last edited by mel on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
caroline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: teenage readers Reply with quote

My 15 year old reluctant reader picked up Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman when we were on holiday and couldn't put it down. He said it was the best thing he'd read. I think there is a sequel due out soon.
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Teenage Rading Reply with quote

Thanks Caroline - I'll give it a go! It's a shame that my (now 16) son is so unmotivated to read. When he was little, he really enjoyed it, although I must say, he mostly enjoyed being read to - perhaps he'll listen to Radio 4 instead!! (Doubt it)

Thanks to Anna for the top ten list - more in the taste of 14yr old daughter Bella probably, but a good selection nonetheless.

Any other suggestions for boys appreciated!

Kate
Martian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,

I know it's not really a book for teenagers, but Fingersmith by Sarah Walters is by far the best book I ever read. It just has everything in it & is a real emotional rollercoaster with drop dead twists.

Martin
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin. That's a good idea. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and was utterly unable to predict what would happen. I kept thinking I knew what the outcome would be, only to be surprised each time.

Kate
Martian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate,

It sure is a good book. Have you read Tipping the Velvet. I just love the bit where Sarah Walters describes Nancy's journey from luxury in the villa at Shepherds Bush to Flo's small terrace house in Bethnal Green (especially the Columbia Market description). Did you also know that most of the places she describes in London actually exist ?

Martin

:D
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't read any of her other books, though I did see a bit of Tipping the Velvet on TV. Unfortunately, I missed most of it so didn't really get the storyline. I think I'll read it some time though. Has it got the same sort of unexpected surprise twists?
Martian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

It's not really, because this is more of romance than Fingersmith. It's very heartrending though & of course has a good storyline & ending. It's also a lot more explicit. But the descriptions are just as good as in Fingersmith. I thought the book was a million times better than the TV version, where women are weak & men strong, which is not what Sarah Walters intended. Thats TV for you though. It's definitely a book for cold winter/spring nights.

What are reading at the moment ?

Martin
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I'm reading a book called 'The Mermaid's Purse' by Katy Gardner. We got 5 free copies for our reading group via the bookgroup.info website from a publisher's offer, which was rather good! It's a tale of a Uni. lecturer who gets a job at Sussex and comes to live in Brighton, where strange things happen ..stalking and suchlike. It's not terribly well written, but it is unputdownable, and of course the location increases its draw (I'm in Brighton too).

What are you reading?
Martian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

I'm currently reading A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving. It's a good book, but very heavy going. I think I might switch to the book your reading, as the added Brighton dimension would make it interesting. I can then go back once I've finished Mermaids Purse. I'm off from work this week, so I think I might buy it on Monday & read it while people watching on the seafront.

I'm also going to a meeting about setting up a new group on Monday. Any tips ?

Martin
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Tips on starting up your new reading group Reply with quote

Hi Martin

It's great that a few if you have got it together to form your reading group. If you look at the advice section on this website, there's some tips about getting your discussions going, choosing books, etc.

Also, if you go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/resources/meades.shtml

they've got some advice about setting up and running bookgroups there as well. I find our best discussions are not necessarily where everyone enjoyed the book - some books have provoked lively discussions where people disagreed strongly on the subject matter, and that made it more interesting!
Have you thought about how you are going to recognise each other this evening? It might be quite crowded at the Sanctuary, also there's upstairs or downstairs there.
Good luck - I hope it's a stimulating and successful group.
Kate

P.S. About The Mermaid's Purse - although it is a page turner, and therefore v. quick to read, the quality of writing does let it down (sorry, Katy Gardner!) and also I found it very predictable, unlike Fingersmith which just kept me guessing all the way. But give it a go anyway (although it is quite expensive - 9.99)
Martian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

The meeting went quite well & we've decided that the Sanctuary is quite a good place to meet. Only 3 of us at the moment, but hopefully that will grow. You said you got books free from the publisher & I was wondering how you did that please ?

Martin
maddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i got my son to read graphic novels "V for Vendetta" is a great start.
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: graphic novels Reply with quote

Hi Maddy

Are these like novels in comic strip form? I haven't come across them - who wrote 'V for Vendetta'?

Kate
maddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate
They are in comic book style, but certainly not the Beano or Dandy.
I did venture into my sons bedroom looking for the author (I'm a brave women!) couldn't find it, what a surprise, I'm fairly sure the author is a local man, Hove actualy, Alan Moore, you can get them in Borders, good luck.
Maddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bookgroup.info Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: