Search | Memberlist | Register |  Profile | Login to check your private messages | Login 

Brighton/Hove New Reading Group
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiemees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Brighton/Hove New Reading Group Reply with quote

Is anyone else interested in joining a new reading group being set up in Brighton/Hove?
View users profile Send private message
espence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested, have you had any other responses? I live in Portslade and work in Brighton centre, and would love to take part in a book group. Used to do one with some friends, but they all moved away, we used to go to The Sanctuary in Hove to chat, which was quite good cos it was quiet usually.
Martian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbiemees,

I am interested in joining a bookgroup as I enjoy reading books, but this would be my first, so how does it work ?

M
Loi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what a great idea. I live in Hove and would like to meet people with same interests. I just love chatting away about books and writing.
Loi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be a poetry night Monday 15 March at the Sanctuary 8pm. Maybe it would be nice to go there and have a chat? Like a first meeting.
Martian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the Santuary ? :?:
Loi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Sanctuary is in Brunswick Street East, at the border between Brighton and Hove.
Maybe we could meet 7.30 pm so we have a chance to talk before the poetry reading.
espence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone
Would love to meet everyone, but I am away on the 15th (it's my birthday). I think The Sanctuary would be a great place to meet up, please could someone let me know what book has been chosen on the 15th and we could meet again maybe in a month's time???
Thanks
Emma
Martian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday for the 15th. I know it's early but what does that matter !
Loi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right. Sanctuary on Monday. I'll try to make it to7.15 pm. But I'll be there at 7.30 the latest.
See you there Martian and Kris! And hopefully someone else in this group will come along.
Loi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: reading group started! Reply with quote

Three people turned up to the first meeting at the Sanctuary yesterday. The book we picked is The house of sand and fog by Andre Dubus. And next meeting is going to be at the Sanctuary Monday 26th of April. See you then!
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Your new bookgroup Reply with quote

I'm glad your new bookgroup meeting went well - I've been watching the development of your group on the forum, and I was hoping that you'd get something together.

It's my choice next month for our bookgroup and I was thinking of choosing The House of Sand and Fog (or possibly the Ned Kelly book), so I'd be interested to know what your group thought of it after you've read it. Will you post a topic on the chat section of the forum when you've read it, and let us know?

Best of luck to your group.
Kate icon_biggrin.gif
Loi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: House of sand and fog... Reply with quote

How is it going..? I'm on page 127. It was hard to get started, but now I've come to like it.
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: House of Sand and Fog Reply with quote

Hi Loi

I'm not sure if you were replying to my post or asking your fellow bookgroup members how it's going with the book - but I'll reply anyway! I haven't started House of Sand & Fog yet - my book choice for my group is not next month as I thought - it's 2 months away! So I'm getting it anyway this week to read as I'm off to Holland for a week and can relax and read it there.

This week, instead, I have been reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time', which is great fun and very touching. Have you read it?

Good luck with 'HoSaF'! It's funny how books are so often hard to get into, but then they suddenly take off.
Kate
Martian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loi or is it Kate ?,

Like you I found it hard to get into so I've only made it to page 70 (a poor effort), however it is starting to pick up now. I enjoy the Iranian tales the most & find the Americans bits a tad slow. We shall see though !! Got it out of the library so didn't have to buy, which was good.

I also emailed Emma who is definitely coming on the 26th. Then there was four !

Take care

Martin

P.S. Kate hope you enjoy Holland !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bookgroup.info Forum Index -> Contact All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: