Search | Memberlist | Register |  Profile | Login to check your private messages | Login 

Sci-fi writers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane Gault

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Sci-fi writers Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend any contemporary sci-fi writers? I've read some Philip K Dick but I was wondering if there are any really good authors writing at the moment? I especially like near-future stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif
View users profile Send private message
bradbury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: sf writers Reply with quote

Suggest you try Neil Gaiman,China Meiville,Tad Williams-Otherland series.
Do you know Ray Bradbury?The october country.
Let me know if you find any good reads.
Jane Gault

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - I'll try those. I hadn't heard of any of them except Ray Bradbury (any relation?). Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all-time favourites.
LCrichton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: sci-fi suggestions Reply with quote

Hi

A good scottish writer is Iain M Banks (he also writes contemporary fiction as Ian Banks) but his novels are set very far in the future.

Another Scottish one, is Ken McLeod. I have only read one of his books, called Cosmonaut Keep. Some of it is set far in the future on another planet, but part is set in the 2050s in Scotland, England and America.

Ursula Le Guin writes some very thought-provoking stuff as well. Try The Dispossessed.

Finally you might want to have alook at the Woolmaloo Gazette - its the blog of Sci fi fan at: www.woolamaloo.org.uk

hope these are useful.

Lucy
LCrichton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: sci-fi suggestions Reply with quote

Hi

A good scottish writer is Iain M Banks (he also writes contemporary fiction as Ian Banks) but his novels are set very far in the future.

Another Scottish one, is Ken McLeod. I have only read one of his books, called Cosmonaut Keep. Some of it is set far in the future on another planet, but part is set in the 2050s in Scotland, England and America.

Ursula Le Guin writes some very thought-provoking stuff as well. Try The Dispossessed.

Finally you might want to have alook at the Woolmaloo Gazette - its the blog of Sci fi fan at: www.woolamaloo.org.uk

hope these are useful.

Lucy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bookgroup.info Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: