Search | Memberlist | Register |  Profile | Login to check your private messages | Login 

Ian McEwan's Saturday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Ian McEwan's Saturday Reply with quote

Is this a book for self-satisfied middle-aged men or am I the only person who found it irritating to the point of throwing my beautifully produced hardback copy out of the window (almost)? And what happened to his editor? Is McEwan too big to be told that squash is boring and twelve pages devoted to a squash match is enough to make you lose the will to live?
View users profile Send private message
megustaleer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have not had a response to your comments on 'Saturday' so far, perhaps you would like to share opinions about this book with the BookGroup Online Book Club, as it is one of the books currently being discussed.

http://www.bookgrouponline.com/forum/register.html
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
EmmaM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: No - you are bang on! Reply with quote

I have not yet read Saturday but then i don't plan to - i find McEwan one of the most pretentious, overrated writers. He hangs all his novels on tiny insigificant events and then exepcts his readers to fill in the blanks. Linguistically i think he actually is quite good - but he wastes his talent on stories that have no wieght or strength or ingenuity. And they are all invariabley pompous and narrow-minded. So, to answer your question, no - you're not the only one!
caroline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the book but mainly because IMcE writes so brilliantly. BUT as for the power of poetry to tame the savage beast - couldn't suspend disbelief to that extent. I don't think it works to drop a metaphor like that into an otherwise realistic narrative - it broke the dramatic tension and made an otherwise highly-charged scene a bit silly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bookgroup.info Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: